2023 A Very Darwin Christmas Pageant:
BEST FLOAT COMPETITION
Santa’s not the only one with presents this year – we have some amazing prizes to give away to the best float at this year’s Christmas Pageant! Our panel of secret judges will assess floats on their creativity, uniqueness, sustainability and staying within the Christmas theme.
The award for the best float will be presented at the end of the Christmas Pageant as part of the program
WHAT TIME AND WHERE DOES THE PAGEANT START?
The Pageant starts where the Esplanade meets Knuckey Street and begins at 5pm sharp! Please note that hard road closures will be in place from 4pm, so we recommend planning ahead and arriving early.
WHERE SHOULD I PARK?
Thanks to City of Darwin you can park at any of the below convenient locations for free on Saturday 18 November:
- Dragonfly carpark (opening hours extended to 10pm)
- West lane carpark (opening hours extended to 10pm)
- State Square carpark
- Jervois road carpark
- Nichols Place carpark
- Civic Centre carpark
- Fort Hill carpark
As road closures will be in place, West Lane and State Square carparks will be inaccessible between 4pm – 6pm, please plan ahead and review the information on road closures ahead of the event.
All off-street car parks in the CBD have accessible parking. This includes the following car parks with close proximity to the event, such as West Lane, State Square, Civic Centre and Nichols Place. Please check the road closures timetable to ensure accessibility to West Lane and State Square car parks before timing your visit.
There will also be accessible street parking available around the route, on the Esplanade, Mitchell Street and Smith Street. To view the map showing all the accessible parking bays around the Christmas Pageant Route click here.
We’re pleased to offer a longer route this year, which means there are more viewing areas than ever before to ensure more spots are accessible for viewing.
There will also be an accessible drop off zone at Tourism Top End on Bennett Street, which will be open until 4pm. After this time, the road will be closed for the pageant and will reopen again after 8pm.
Our event staff will also be there for support to ensure you have a great event experience. For any questions on accessing the event, please firstname.lastname@example.org.
WHAT ROAD CLOSURES WILL BE IN PLACE?
There will be road closures and detours in place before, during and after the Pageant to ensure the safety of our attendees. Road closures are as follows:
- 8am: Part road closure of Smith Street between bus interchange and Bennett Street
- 2pm: Hard road closure on Esplanade Road between Herbert Street and Smith Street
- 4pm: Hard road closures:
- Esplanade Road, between Knuckey Street and Herbert Street
- Herbert Street, between Mitchell Street and Esplanade Road
- Knuckey Street, between Esplanade Road and Woods Street
- Mitchell Street, between Nuttall Place and Herbert Street
- Cavenagh Street, between Edmunds Street and Bennett Street
- Bennett Street, between McMinn and Mitchell Street
Road closures will re-open as per the schedule below, and when it is safe to do so:
- 6pm: Mitchell Street, between Nutall Place and Knuckey Street, between Esplanade and Mitchell
- 6:15pm: Knuckey Street, between Mitchell Street and Woods Street; Smith Street between Edmunds Street and Knuckey Street
- 6:30pm Cavenagh Street
- 7pm: Mitchell Street, between Knuckey Street and Bennett Street; and Herbert Street
- 8pm: Bennett Street, between West Lane and Cavenagh Street
- 10pm: Esplanade Road, between Herbert Street and Smith Street
HOW WILL DARWIN BUS SERVICES BE IMPACTED?
Inbound services will travel via Daly St and Smith St and terminate at Searcy St. The majority of all outbound services will depart from Woolworths Cavenagh Street, and please note the Darwin Interchange will be closed between 4:00pm – 6:30pm. For more information please click here.